SMB or Swiss Meringue Buttercream is an all-purpose icing or frosting that is ultra-silky, has a stable texture that spreads beautifully over cakes and cupcakes, and can be piped into perfect peaks, patterns and flowers!
Years ago when I took an interest in baking, SMB was the first icing I taught myself to make. However the formula I was using required ALL butter. I did not like using ALL butter in the formula because it left a weird after taste and was not pleasant enough for me to continue using it, therefore I ceased and switched over to a traditional buttercream by Edna De La Cruz with Design me a cake! She uses equal amounts of butter and high-ratio shortening in her buttercream formula.
My “baking world” changed after introducing myself to high-ratio shortening, it makes fluffier, creamier icing using this shortening designed specifically for bakers. Hi-ratio shortening, which contains emulsifiers, is more temperature stable and will hold air better upon whipping, improving volume and stability of icing. We sell high-ratio on our website and in store. It’s a popular item. Since living in a very high humidity state it’s a must to have high-ratio shortening in your pantry on those hot and humid days.
What prompted me to search for another SMB formula was White Flower Cake Shoppe in Cleveland, Ohio! On September 21st or 22nd they offered how to make their signature flower on a tutorial for $45, I was elated to see this, the moment the tutorial became available I purchased it and began watching immediately and was surprised to learn they use SMB! They do not use ALL butter in their formula, they also incorporate high-ratio shortening into their SMB! So that’s it! I was on the hunt for a new formula, using high-ratio and butter for my new SMB formula.
I came across this blog http://www.woodlandbakeryblog.com and took note they had a SMB formula with butter and high-ratio shortening. I read over the formula a few times and watched their YouTube video to make sure this is the formula I was looking for and what do you know! It’s now my PERFECT SMB FORMULA! I will share the formula with you all so you don’t have to go searching for it! You are welcome! 🙂 and special thanks to @WoodlandBakery for sharing their formulas with us!
(enough to ice 30 cupcakes, or fill and ice 1- 8″cake
***THIS RECIPE CAN BE STORED 4 days room temp, 2 weeks fridge, 2 months freezer
- Over a double boiler, in a large metal bowl whisk together the granulated sugar and the egg whites stirring constantly until the mixture reaches approximately 115 degrees F and the sugar grains have dissolved and are not longer gritty to the touch.
- Pour this mixture into the metal bowl of your Kitchen Aid Mixer with the WHISK attachment and whip on high speed until it is thick, glossy and white in color. The peaks should be as firm as firm can be.
- In the meantime you can sift your confectioners sugar, and once you have achieved STIFF peaks meringue, add the confectioners sugar all at once with the mixer on very low speed to avoid having a snow shower of sugar all over your kitchen!
- Once all of the sugar has been incorporated you can turn the mixer speed to med-high until it is all nicely mixed in.
- Be sure your butter and shortening are at room temperature and they are the same consistency. Add it in about 2-3 additions, but FAST Additions.
They go in depth on their website more about high-ratio and the recipe you are welcome to visit their site http://www.woodlandbakeryblog.com/drum-roll-buttercream-is-here-tada/